Text Size

Public and Private Apartments

The rent for public apartment houses, managed by the prefecture or city government, is relatively low (under 20,000 yen per month). If you apply for this accommodation, there are certain conditions, and permission of residence will be granted only if you are chosen by lot. Because local people also apply for this housing, a little possibility for being chosen is relatively low.

The rent for private apartments varies, depending on the size and the furnishing of the rooms. The average rent is 30,000 to 35,000 yen per month. In addition, it is customary to pay a deposit (security money (敷金/Shiki Kin)), key money (礼金/Rei Kin), and a commission (仲介手数料Chukai Tesuryo) to real estate agents, which can amount to three to five times of the monthly rent.

For both city and private accommodation utilities must be paid; this varies from 5,000 to 20,000 yen per month, depending on your usage.
Contact your Campus Staff for more details.

* Housing Guarantor System for International Students in Fukuoka
To rent an apartment or a house in Japan, you need to find a joint guarantor (連帯保証人/Rentai Hoshonin) for a lease. However, it is sometimes difficult for international students to find a proper guarantor. If you rent an apartment or a house with estate agencies which approve of “Housing Guarantor System for International Students in Fukuoka”, Kyutech will be your joint guarantor. Contact your Campus Staff for further detail.

* Comprehensive Housing Insurance for International Students Studying in Japan (Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES)
This insurance is designed to eliminate any financial losses or inconveniences for housing guarantors in the event of fire or other accidents. International students who use "Housing Guarantor System for International Students in Fukuoka" are required to join this insurance.
This insurance's coverage provides protection for:

1. Tenant's legal liability: In case your room is damaged by a covered risk, such as fire, pipe burst or explosions, water leakage, and you have to make a legal compensation to your landlord for the damage.

2. Personal liability: Any accidental physical injuries or property damages to others for which you are liable (for example, injuring someone as a result of dropping objects , or damaging someone's property as a result of water leakage).

3. Personal property: Your personal possessions, such as clothing or furniture, are damaged by a covered risk, such as fire, burst pipes, explosion or flood.

Back to top